Art of the Pivot

The words hack and pivot are the most overused words in the startup community. If your hack doesn’t immediately gain traction, then you pivot. Remember the company Color? Didn’t think so, everyone with deep pockets put chips in their pot and lost, so how does a failure recoup their losses, let alone their reputation? They relentlessly pivot through all forty one million dollars invested in them. We’re in an age where failure is a form of success, you know all the rhetoric: it’s not how many times you fall that matters, but how many times you get up. Motivational posters line our walls reminding us to never despair, to remain stubborn in one regard and not another, success is but a pivot away. Even spiritually, numerous parables suggest, when one door closes another opens. What happened to sticking to your guns, holding to your word, or staying the course? Too much advice has a way of contradicting itself.

Let’s call it what it is, it’s very difficult for me to lose, quit, or admit defeat without winning nonetheless. My pivots assess what’s necessary in the long-term over short-term requests; already evident in my sobriety laden stash of V8 cans. I asked myself if it was worth the time fretting over daily deadlines. Like all of you, I have more important priorities than this blog, and decided against the added stress of constant revisions. Going forward, please expect new posts at noon on Monday through Thursday of every week.

To my ego, at least my pivot isn’t a severe 180 degree turnaround, nor have I hijacked millions of dollars in the process. Do not be afraid to do what’s best for you. Enjoy your wins and losses!

Popular Posts